This page contains key dates in the history of the Town Hall:
On 23 January fire damaged the Trinity Guildhall and adjoining tenement.
Accounts of the Trinity Guildhall 1421-23 record ‘substantial costs’ for building a new hall.
Some years after the dissolution of the Trinity Guild the eastern half of the undercroft was converted to a prison.
Western Section became Bridewell House of Correction.
Jacobean Hall Porch and staircase built and Queen Elizabeth Coat of Arms was taken from another building and placed over the twelve-light window.
Coat of Arms of Charles II fixed, replacing that of the Commonwealth, which in turn had replaced that of earlier Stuart Kings.
Ketton stone floor laid in Stone Hall over brick vaulting of the undercroft.
South window of the Stone Hall completely rebuilt. Only the jambs and arch are of 15th century stonework.
Court room and retiring room built as Council Chambers.
Assembly Room and Card Room built and chandeliers purchased.
Gaol House Built, for the sum of £400, as the dwelling of the town gaoler. The design of its entrance doorway was influenced by the then newly built Newgate prison in London.
Walls and ceiling in the Stone Hall plastered.
Court Room set up as Magistrates Court. The bench was originally at the porch end.
Orchestra balcony between chimney breasts in Assembly Room removed.
Mirrors over fireplaces in Assembly Room purchased.
The four mirrors between the windows of the Assembly Room presented.
Prisoners no longer served sentences in cells, but the cells remained as lock ups until 1937.
Panelling in Stone Hall for Norfolk Quarter Sessions was added.
Magistrates’ Court Room extended with bench being moved to opposite end and window behind the bench inserted.
Public admitted to Council meetings for the first time
Left hand section of Town Hall built as Municipal Building, on the site of the Town Arms public house and three houses.
Settee and six gilt chairs presented. At present in Crush Hall but previously used in Assembly Room, they were originally upholstered in damask.
Gaol House became residence of Superintendent of Police.
New cells built in old prison yard behind Gaol House.
On 25 January 1946 there was a visit to the Town Hall known as “the visit of the three Queens” – Queen Mary, widow of George V, Queen Elizabeth, consort of George VI and Princess Elizabeth, the future Queen Elizabeth II.
Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother) granted freedom of the Borough on 26 July. The ceremony took place in the Assembly Room.
Lynn Division of Norfolk Constabulary moved to its present station.
Mayor’s Parlour converted to its present form.
The Borough of King’s Lynn (which had been confirmed in 1248) was reconstituted as the Town of King’s Lynn with the Town Mayor being elected each year from the Charter Trustees of the Town.
The district of West Norfolk was granted the status of Borough by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on 30 January 1981.
Magistrates’ Court was transferred to building in College Lane opposite the Town Hall.
Gaol House converted to a Tourist Information Centre after being occupied for two decades by the Council Housing Department.
Assembly Room and Card Room renovated and redecorated with a scheme based on the 18th Century colouring.
Ceiling plaster removed in Stone Hall revealing the original oak timbers.
Tales of the Old Gaol House exhibition opened.
Court Room and Retiring Room restored.
26 July 1994 – Town Hall houses an exhibition of photographs marking the 40th anniversary of the granting of the Freedom of the Borough to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother who opened the exhibition.
The Tourist Information Centre moved out of Gaol House into the Custom House.
10 September – Banquet held in Assembly Room, attended by HRH The Duke of Kent, High Steward of King’s Lynn marking the 800th anniversary of King’s Lynn’s Charter of 1204. A 9 course banquet, one for each 100 years was served.
The Town House Museum closed and the Norfolk Registrars relocated into the complex.
A Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) funded project to transform The Old Gaol House into the new Stories of Lynn Exhibition.